The following post was written by Gavin Rummler at Dillon Force, our featured manufacturer this month. Dillon provides a wide range of load monitoring and force measurement products, from software to force gauges, crane scales, dynamometers and tension meters. The company focuses on providing quality measurement devices for tension, compression and push/pull forces for industrial environments.
The Dillon Dynamometer
Since 1937, Dillon Dynamometers have been chosen for the jobs where only the best will do. Now, Dillon has once again lifted the performance bar and set the standard for others to follow.
Dynamometers, also known as load cells or load links, are instruments that display the tension force exerted between two attached shackles. Generally used to determine tension in a line or suspended weight, dynamometers are easy and simple to operate.
Dillon is the most recognized name in dynamometers. Their instruments are portable, factory pre-calibrated, and ready to work out of the box. Offering both mechanical and electronic models, Dillon boasts the widest selection of styles and capacities. Additionally, all models include a calibration certificate. Experienced technicians calibrate each instrument on an individual basis making certain that all parts are carefully adjusted and that every unit is within stated accuracy tolerances before it leaves the factory.
Types of Dynamometers
Dillon dynamometers come in three types, including the AP Dynamometer, the EDjunior Dynamometer, and the EDXtreme Dynamometer. Because each of these models is designed with different specializations in mind, there’s sure to be a dynamometer for every job.
Let’s take a closer look at each of the models listed below.
Originally designed to measure the tension on telephone wires, the AP Dynamometer has proven to have limitless versatility as a tension and weight measuring instrument. It can be used for a wide range of jobs and tasks, including:
- Aircraft engine removal as part of a boot strap assembly
- Line sagging and erecting
- Onboard load testing cranes/davits/lifeboats
- Tensioning of flare stack guy wires
- Safe lifting and tension monitoring
- Erecting and monitoring stage rigging
- Installation and maintenance of overhead high voltage electrical lines (OHEL)
- Installation and tension monitoring of large glass installations and tension wires
- Cable pulling, zip wire tensioning, logging, highway recovery vehicles, and tug boats
The AP dynamometer’s sturdy design, top-grade components, and premium coating allow it to last for years in severe environments and applications, including pounding aboard military vehicles, rough handling in the field, or even underwater. Embraced by industrial contractors across the globe, the AP is sure to satisfy your most demanding applications.
The Edjunior dynamometer gets straight to the point. Simply apply a load and take a reading. Its Spartan design offers an extremely well-built instrument that can be relied upon for simple yet critical measurements of weight and force.
The Edjunior draws its strength from the exhaustive engineering that went into the design of the Dillon EDXtreme dynamometer. Both share the same base of research and testing to match material characteristics and load cell technology. The choices made in development have yielded an exceptionally rugged instrument capable of consistently delivering accurate, repeatable measurements.
The Edjunior is even more remarkable when you consider the price. If you believe you have to pay more to get more, just compare the Dillon EDjunior to the competition. Nothing else comes close!
The Edjunior is all about value. Behind its simple design and easy operation, you will find the quality and performance not found elsewhere in the low-price range. With the EDjunior, Dillon proves that economy can go hand-in-hand with accuracy, long service life, and worker safety.
The EDXtreme exemplifies the trademark precision and rugged construction of Dillon dynamometers. Its highly refined design draws on the inherent strengths of premium grade materials to achieve a 5:1 minimum factor of safety.
While the EDXtreme may be configured for something as simple as a digital hanging scale, it also offers a higher level of intelligence. With user-defined functions and sophisticated communication options, the EDXtreme readily adapts to multi-tasking operations or multi-link systems capable of monitoring a series of critical stress points from a single location — it is the definition of application versatility.
Building a precision instrument that can survive real-world punishment requires masterful engineering. This is where Dillon’s experience shines through. The engineers assigned to the EDXtreme drew on a depth of industrial application knowledge and conducted exhaustive materials testing to achieve the highest structural integrity.
Additionally, high resolution and accurate repeatable readings are essential to proper weighing. The higher standards set for the EDXtreme meant taking the time to ensure that material characteristics, load element design, and strain gauge meshed perfectly. The result of that effort is a typical accuracy of 0.1% of full-scale capacity. The enhanced resolution mode of 1 part in 5000 provides the level of readability needed for refined weighing.
Why Choose the Dillon Dynamometer?
So why choose Dillon for your weight measurement needs? One of the foremost reasons that sets Dillon apart from competitors is added functionality, which includes the following features:
- Remote Real-Time Data Acquisition – The radio or hardwired options available with the EDXtreme offer the convenience and safety of remote operation. Additionally, data from the dynamometer(s) can be downloaded to a PC via an RS-232 connection for compilation and analysis or to generate hard-copy printouts.
- Improved Radio Performance – The EDXtreme radio dynamometer utilizes leading-edge 2.4Ghz radio frequency technology to eliminate common interference issues. This spread spectrum technology will establish and maintain the strongest, most reliable communications.
- Dynamic Monitoring and Control – The optional Communicator is an extremely powerful handheld remote that can define the function and manage the operation of one or more EDXtreme dynamometers. In multiple link lifting arrays, the Communicator can display readings at any or all lift points and calculate the total load.
- Optional Audible Alarm – When safety and load monitoring are paramount, the optional audible alarm adds an extra level of protection. The alarm sounds when a pre-defined load limit has been exceeded, ideal for situations when the operator may not have sight of the screen.
Dillon on the Job
Dillon force measurement equipment is the preferred choice of public utilities, nuclear facilities, tower erectors, armed services, and material handlers throughout the world. With Dillon’s high accuracy mechanical line of dynamometers, you’ll get an exceptional value for both basic and complex applications.
Ready to find the right dynamometer for your application?
Our Account Managers will help match you with the right dynamometer for your application, your environment & your budget.